Why work in Oldham
Moving to a new job as well as relocating can be overwhelming or sometimes a frightening prospect, in addition the first days, weeks and months of employment are filled with excitement, a wealth of information and many questions.
Oldham benefits from a high-quality rural and semi-rural environment, including a quarter of the borough lying within the Peak District National Park
Oldham has a mixture of high-density urban areas, suburbs, semi-rural, and rural locations, and is in a pivotal position between the cities of Manchester and Leeds.
Famous People from Oldham
- Paul Scholes - Manchester United midfielder who is lifelong Latics supporter and Saddleworth resident.
- Professor Brian Cox OBE - a Particle Physicist who works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN near Geneva.
- Sir Winston Churchill - Started his political career as MP for Oldham in 1900, before becoming Prime Minister in 1940.
- Phillip Schofield - This Morning and Dancing on Ice TV presenter.
- Nick Grimshaw – Oldham born television and radio presenter and one of the new judges on X Factor.
- 9 miles drive (14km) from Manchester City Centre
- 19 miles drive (30km) from Manchester Airport
- 20 minutes to Manchester by Metrolink
- Air – Manchester Airport which has direct flights to over 200 destinations is only a 20 minute drive from Oldham http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/
- Metrolink - Has great connectivity to Manchester city centre and beyond. http://www.metrolink.co.uk/ or on Twitter by following @MCRMetrolink.
- Train -Trains run directly to Manchester Victoria in under 30 minutes and onwards
- Buses - Oldham Bus Station provides a transport hub at the heart of the town centre http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/greater_manchester/travel_news/news_initiatives/?item=10171&conf=0
- Huge retail parks, shopping centres and supermarkets
- Outdoor and indoor markets, Farmers markets
- Brand new sports facilities
- Specialist craft markets
- Saddleworth Festivals
- Chinese, Indian and Italian restaurants
- Award winning real ale pubs.
- Oldham is 94 miles to England’s largest Lake District National Park http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/
Source: Oldham Council